The Bones Cover Peek

Posted by on Mar 1, 2010 in Books, Design, Dice | 13 Comments

Here’s your first look at the cover for The Bones. Please note that the final contributor list (if you can make it out) is still subject to change. Additional alterations to the cover may yet happen. The Bones is coming soon.

Cover photo by Chuck Wendig. Cover design by me, Will Hindmarch.

The Bones Semi-Final Cover Design

The Bones Semi-Final Cover Design

13 Comments

1. Jason L Blair
    March 1, 2010

Great cover.

2. Fred Hicks
    March 1, 2010

Super-pleased to be a part of this project, however small my contribution was. 🙂

3. Will Hindmarch
    March 1, 2010

Thanks much. I’m super-pleased to have such a great contributor list to show off, thus far. There may be a couple of surprises yet, too.

4. Daniel M. Perez
    March 1, 2010

Nice. Still paying close attention to this, as I’d like to organize a blog carnival on the same topic for the release.

5. Will Hindmarch
    March 1, 2010

Thanks, Daniel. We still think a blog carnival is a lovely idea… for sure one of our big hopes for the book is to generate some discussion that cuts across the lines of particular games and addresses us as gamers, as a whole. In fact, I’ve got an idea that might tie a blog carnival into the electronic edition of the book. Let us talk more once I’ve got this thing ready for press.

6. Daniel M. Perez
    March 1, 2010

Sounds great. You know I follow you on Twitter so I’m sure to see upcoming news.

7. Chuck
    March 1, 2010

Woo!

Very excited.

Man, you took that photo and kicked it up. Lemonade from lemons, my friend.

— c.

8. Jared Sorensen
    March 1, 2010

Dem some Lovely Bones.

9. Darrell
    March 2, 2010

I’ve already pre-ordered it in my mind.

10. Alex Jurkat
    March 2, 2010

Looking forward to the read. One quibble: one woman contributor (as far as I can make out from the cover). Great to see Monica included, but aren’t there any other women rolling dice. Shelly Mazzanoble seems like a perfect fit. Got to be others too.

11. Fred Hicks
    March 2, 2010

You missed Jess Hartley, Alex.

12. Will Hindmarch
    March 2, 2010

Alex, I’m disappointed that I didn’t get more women to contribute to the book, for sure. It’s an imperfect thing, and the process of finding contributors was sort of informal (because I announced the book too early), so my contributor list filled up before I had actually launched much of a targeted search for contributors. There’s lots I would do differently, and hope to do differently on the next book. All I know, right now, is that I was lucky to get such a talented pool of writers to play along with us on this book. So I can be disappointed about some folks we didn’t get, but I can’t complain about anyone we did.

13. James Lowder
    March 5, 2010

The other thing to keep in mind, Alex, is the fact that the final table of contents will not reflect who was invited and was too busy, not interested, or could not participate for other reasons. You mentioned a WotC staffer, but Hasbro/WotC employees would probably not be allowed to participate in a project like this. They were barred from participating in the two essay books I put together for Green Ronin.